History Open Days
Would you like to know more about our history, or maybe even yours?
Well come along on the 1st Saturday of the month from 1:30pm to 4pm and see for yourself, including talking with our resident historian Laurel who has published a couple of books on our church history and has her own website (see below). Or why not join in with the sketching group creating a masterpiece from their historic surrounds, or just listen to our live music.
The Cooks River Parish was named after the river which flows through it. On 13 May, 1838 the first service was conducted in a temporary church. The foundation stone of the present church was laid on 7 July 1838, and the building was completed in November 1839. St Peters is one of the oldest churches in the suburbs of Sydney. The Church is listed with the Heritage Council of NSW.
For More Details on the History of the Church, the graveyard and the whole of the St Peters District view stpeterscooksriverhistory.wordpress.com, where we have collated details about the church building with its late-colonial stained glass windows, our Brindley and Foster tracker action pipe organ, the historic colonial graveyard, writings of various rectors and prominent members of the congregation, and our group’s work in uncovering Family History around the district.